Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Songs to Increase Happiness

my own little mood elevator - songs that never fail to make me smile or tap my feet!

"Sometimes things find you when you need them to find you, I believe that... and for me it is usually song lyrics"           Peyton Sawyer {One Tree Hill}



She is the angst filled, memory ridden, and, by her own admission, 'just a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside a b*tch...' music was her thing and it has long been mine. When I heard this line in a voiceover I really connected with it. Music has always resonated with me. From my upbringing - where my parents forever had music on {'children's' songs or shows were put on in limited lots}, usually records and blared anything & everything from Rolling Stones, The Beatles, The Pretenders, Blondie, ACDC, Bruce Springsteen, ABBA, The Doors, Creedance Clearwater, Elvis, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel & Jimmy Barnes and so on.. my own tastes have stemmed from here and I quickly gathered as much music as I could, I have often been friends with musicians and still have a deep love for alternative/indie rock.. My biggest memory from my childhood is actually that music was ALWAYS playing, and I still listen to music everyday.

Music can change how I feel in an instant or be a great comforter in hard times. I do believe that you should have a select few songs that you can turn to, that will instantly lift your mood, make you smile and make you want to dance. It is find {good even} if there are memories attached, but if you make a playlist of them they should be songs that you can listen to and not have to skip when memories become too much. They need to make you want to dance, celebrate and have a good time. They don't necessarily have to be really up tempo, but make you happy!

I have chosen my top six songs that always do this for me, written about some associated memories or why I love them, including my favourite lyrics. These are the six songs that I have been playing in recent months when I have felt down or lonely, and they've kicked the spark back into my day.



Neopolitan Dreams - Lisa Mitchell
I absolutely love this song, it has this funny, quirky beat and is so much fun to listen to. The beat reminds me of love and the funny way your heart skips along when you see that person. The lyrics are fun and I always find myself dancing {atleast feet tapping} when I hear it.
Favourite lyric: "I turn my head up to the sky, I focus one thought at a time. I do not let the little thieves under my tightly buttoned sleeve" For me this reinforces a positive attitude and not to let anyone steal your happiness.

March into the Ocean - British India
This song is best played really loud! This Aussie band are sensational live and have an energy that comes across in the recordings also. I love playing this in my car on my way to and from work, keeps me focused and puts me in a great mood. Indie rock at its best!
Favourite lyric: "I've seen it all before, and I know it's all the same, I see you walk towards me then I watch you walk away. Let them march into the ocean, let them peel off one by one, am I alone in this explosion? Is it just the same for everyone?"

Semi-Charmed Life - Third Eye Blind
Such a brilliant 90s song, love a bit of pop when it is like this! It is also on the soundtrack for one of my favourite movies 'A lot Like Love' and is so uplifting and fun. It reminds me of when I was younger and I would dance to this in my room.
Favourite lyric: "I believe in the sand beneath my toes the beach gives a feeling, an earthy feeling. I believe in the faith that grows and the four right chords could make me cry, when I'm with you I feel like I could die and that would be all right"

Virtiol or Broken Leg - Bluejuice
Bluejuice are amazing live - you just dance the entire time. I love how amazing the beat in these songs are and how quickly they can uplift your mood. They remind me of festivals, summers away and late nights talking to good friends over drinks, games, cards and dancing.
Favourite lyric: Virtiol "and if you can't shape up, nobody wants you, f**k the whole world and what everybody's sayin' hey. Good luck and don't dare give up" {inspires me to keep moving and keep trying despite the bad times}

Wannabe - Spice Girls
I love, love, loved the Spice Girls as a girl and still am slightly obsessed with Victoria Beckham. This is the song that will get me up on a dance floor each and every time. One year when everyone turned 21, a bunch of us girls played it at every 21st - by the end we had an almost choreographed dance to it. Makes me feel young and carefree again.
Favourite lyric: "If you want my future, forget my past, if you want to get with me - better make it fast. Now don't go wasting my precious time, get your act together we could be just fine"

Song 2 - Blur
This is a 'nothing song' - not particularly about anything but is the fastest heart thumping song I know. I instantly start dancing or moving around... lasts two mins max but is fantastic! Wooohooo..
Favourite lyric: Don't have one just love the beat and getting to belt out "Wooohooo!"

I had to cap the list somewhere, so these are my six uplifiting songs. I would love to know what yours are, send me a comment or find me on instagram @saregiak ...




Sarah/Kooklah Xo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment